In this article you can find everything you need to know before you start teaching on our platform.
What you need to use the platform
1. A PC or Laptop
Please read the detailed system requirements to make sure that your device can maintain a smooth video and sound connection.
2. Reliable access to an internet connection
As an online teacher, you will need regular access to the internet for:
- Giving your lessons online
- Accepting and answering lesson and course requests from students
- Communicating with your students and managing your teaching profile
- Creating and correcting assignment answers as needed
You should have reliable internet connection (minimum ADSL) with a speed of at least 1 MB per second.
You can test your connection speed on Speedtest.net by clicking the Begin Test button.
3. External or built-in microphone and webcam
You can either use the built-in parts of your device or connect external microphone and camera, you can read about our recommendations in the hardware requirements article.
4. A user profile with Teacher status
If you are a school owner, you will automatically have teacher rights, while joining a school requires you to request a teacher status from the virtual school admins.
What information you need to give when setting up your teacher profile:
Remember that your profile is what students will consider when choosing a teacher, courses and lessons. Consider how your profile will look to students, and choose pictures and an introduction that represents you at your best.
"TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF"
1. Display name - A user name that will appear on the site
During the teacher portal setup, you first have to choose a display name. This does not need to be your real or legal name, but it should be a name that you expect your students to call you. Please do not enter an online handle or nickname, since this does not make your profile seem like a real person.
Acceptable user names:
- "Mr. B", "Teacher Alana", "John Doe", or "Mary"
- "iloveteaching007" (please do not use an online nickname)
- "Your Biology Teacher" (please do not use a name that is too generic)
2. Avatar - A well-chosen profile picture
3. Tagline - A short introduction about yourself, that can be your teaching philosophy, your age and areas of expertise or your favourite quote.
4. Introduction - A detailed introduction about yourself and what you can offer to students. You might elaborate on your approach to teaching, tell your students about your previous experiences or some interesting information about you and your background.
5. A video introduction to yourself and your lessons - optional.
7. Location - Where you live
8. Timezone - The time zone of your location
9. Main language - The language you use when teaching and using the site
"HOW CAN OTHERS REACH YOU?"
10. E-mail - A working e-mail address, where all your notifications will be sent. Please make sure you receive our e-mails and don't forget to check your inbox every day.
11. Phone number - Give your mobile, where we our your students can reach you
12. Website link - If you have a personal blog or website, you can share it here
13. Social media profile links - optional
Now you almost reached the end of the process, there is one very important step left: to become a teacher, you have to read and agree to the school's Teacher Agreement and Terms of Service.
A few main points:
- Communicate with students promptly and attend lessons reliably
- Treat students with professional courtesy at all times. As students are paying for your services, teachers must take the initiative in communicating with and managing students.
- Maintain your profile, descriptions and schedules to keep the accurate and up-to-date.
- Report any problems or violations to the school's support e-mail address
- Do not request or accept payment outside of the site's payment system
By choosing the "I accept" radio button and clicking Finish setup, your account is ready for use.